I’m spending the whole month of August on the beautiful Sunshine Coast and so it was a happy coincidence that the Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts happened from 4 until 7 August 2011. The long-running literary event focuses solely on Canadian writers and had a carefully selected line-up of authors (and some musicians), who complemented each other perfectly. The location for the readings was equally amazing, at Rockwood Centre, just a stone’s throw from the beach in Sechelt in an airy, purpose built wooden ‘barn’ with space for about 500 literature enthusiasts.
As there was only ever one event going on at a time, each reading represented a nice focal point of its own. The calibre of work was very high and so I discovered many new favourites: Susan Juby, Lorna Goodison, Alexander MacLeod, Zsuzsi Gartner and Sarah Selecky, to name but a few. It was one of those festivals where, initially leafing through the programme, I hadn’t been familiar with many of the authors. Glancing at the same list of names now, a week after the festival, I remember listening to breathtaking stories and anecdotes, hauntingly evocative poetry and three days spent under shady trees with fellow book lovers. What a wonderful introduction to the Sunshine Coast community!
- Ideas of India: The Jaipur Literature Festival at the British Library 2017
- The Future of Wellness: A visit to Balance Festival 2017
- Meet the Festival Makers: Lou Wellby, Music Curator of FloVibe Festival
- Where Travel Blogging Conference meets Festival: Highlights from Traverse 17
- Music is for Everyone: Folk Weekend Oxford 2017
- Just brilliant as usual @theMFCo at @GreenNote tonight! 👏🎻😁 #Americana #bluegrass #London https://t.co/jTeSXMhgUV 1 hour ago
- A weird new religion? Nope, just worshipping #Americana music in #Camden w/ @_SarahDarling @jennbostic &… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Can't wait for Saturday!! 🎻🌞🍸#London #whatson #livemusic #Deptford #folkmusic #unamplifire #sunshine… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Such great advice, everyone should know more about this! twitter.com/lostwholeworld… 1 day ago
- Interesting, #Edinburgh is always worth another visit! @TRIPSGET_en hope the weather in Scotland is as good as it i… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago