I’m spending the whole month of August on the beautiful Sunshine Coast and so it was a happy coincidence that the Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts happened from 4 until 7 August 2011. The long-running literary event focuses solely on Canadian writers and had a carefully selected line-up of authors (and some musicians), who complemented each other perfectly. The location for the readings was equally amazing, at Rockwood Centre, just a stone’s throw from the beach in Sechelt in an airy, purpose built wooden ‘barn’ with space for about 500 literature enthusiasts.
As there was only ever one event going on at a time, each reading represented a nice focal point of its own. The calibre of work was very high and so I discovered many new favourites: Susan Juby, Lorna Goodison, Alexander MacLeod, Zsuzsi Gartner and Sarah Selecky, to name but a few. It was one of those festivals where, initially leafing through the programme, I hadn’t been familiar with many of the authors. Glancing at the same list of names now, a week after the festival, I remember listening to breathtaking stories and anecdotes, hauntingly evocative poetry and three days spent under shady trees with fellow book lovers. What a wonderful introduction to the Sunshine Coast community!
- RT @squashed_pea: Overheard the most Hackney thing ever last night at @woodburnermusic in @EasternCurve : "excuse me, is this tree stump ta… 17 minutes ago
- RT @patchandgiant: Playing at @Yourallypally on Saturday, around 2pm and alongside many great acts brought together by @B4TheGoldRush https… 26 minutes ago
- Looking forward to trying out a few of these in September ;-) #Hamburg #veggie #veggiefood #vegetarianfood twitter.com/HamburgAhoi/st… 29 minutes ago
- RT @hamburgontour: From today @DEICHBRAND Festival is set to spring into action @PLACEBOWORLD, @Kraftklub & more more will set the stage on… 1 hour ago
- .@guitarleena was awesome when I saw her at at @CamFolkFest, can't wait! 🎸 #NashvilleMeetsLondon #Americana twitter.com/NashMeetsLondo… 15 hours ago